Issue Date：July 28, 2022
We have taken the SBT 1.5°C scenario as the reduction goal in setting a carbon reduction pathway to net zero., and officially proposed the “GHG (Category 1 and 2) reduction by 50% by 2032 and net zero emissions by 2050.” We will actively reduce the use of fossil fuels while expanding the use of renewable energy and innovative low-carbon technology transformation in order to achieve the vision of net zero emissions.
At Coretronic, purchased electricity is the main source of GHG emissions. Hence, we set the renewable energy consumption target at 1% in 2020 and began to purchase the renewable energy certificate (REC). By 2021, the target has been achieved by all plants in Taiwan for two consecutive years. In the future, we will continue to increase renewable energy consumption. Additionally, to progressively achieve the SBT reduction and net zero emissions, besides building solar systems at all plants, we also plan to increase renewable energy use through renewable energy transfer in the renewable energy market and obtain more RECs, while offsetting GHG emissions with carbon rights at the same time.
Currently, we constantly strengthen various green innovative actions, plan related mitigation measures, comprehensively enhance the efficiency of the aircon system, improve the energy conservation of plant facilities, and install energy-efficient lighting fixtures in order to become the benchmark of energy conservation and carbon reduction in the industry and constantly achieve the SBT and net zero emission target.
- Establish strategies for the sustainable environment, and the Environmental Protection Committee will quarterly review the performance to make all targets achieved.
- Enhance the efficiency of energy conservation.
- Increase the amount of the renewable energy.
- Establish the renewable energy and SBT target in Taiwan.
- Regularly carry out greenhouse gas inventory in accordance with ISO 14064-1 each year; the inventory types encompass 7 kinds of gases including carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCS), perfluorocarbons (PFCS), sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), nitrogen trifluoride (NF3); in order to fully command the current status of the use of greenhouse gases and as a verification of the effectiveness of reduction At this stage, although not subject to regulatory control to be required to carry out inventory and reduction, we have set greenhouse gas reduction targets in stages, and review annually for continuous improvement, and also through the inventory of energy consumption, improve the efficiency of equipment, manage energy use status and install renewable energy equipment, to maximize the use of energy to achieve the goal of greenhouse gas reduction to achieve the low-carbon goals with scientific management of data.
- In 2021, the intensity of GHG emissions of the plants in Taiwan were reduced by 39% compared to 2020 because the plants took actions to respond to the energy conservation policy by implementing energy-conserving measures and implementing energy-conserving equipment replacement plans in a multi-faceted manner, including: the introduction of magnetic suspension ice and water hosts, electricity consumption monitoring through equipment, reduction of energy consumption, together with nighttime energy use management and lighting energy-conserving improvements, etc. and at the same time, using renewable energy to reduce the use of purchased electricity and achieving greenhouse gas reduction benefits.
- In 2021 the intensity of GHG emissions (Category 1 and 2) of plants in mainland China was 41% less than 2020 by setting carbon reduction targets and implementing various energy conservation measures in response to the climate change and peak carbon dioxide emissions to strengthen controls over energy use.
||Headquarters, Chunan Plant, Tainan Plant 1
||Headquarters, Chunan Plant, Tainan Plant 1 and 2
|Direct Emissions – Category 1 (tCO2e）
|Indirect Emissions – Category 2 (tCO2e)
|Total GHG Emissions – Category 1+2 (tCO2e）
|Intensity of GHG Emissions – Category 1+2 ( (tCO2e)/NTD 100m )2
|Indirect Emissions – Category 3~6 (tCO2e)
|Total GHG Emissions – Category 1~6 (tCO2e)
|Intensity of GHG Emissions – Category 3~6 ( (tCO2e)/100m NTD)2
1: The scope of revenue of China plants
2019~2020: Coretronic Display (Suzhou) and Coretronic Optotech (Suzhou)
2021: Coretronic Display (Suzhou), Coretronic Optotech (Suzhou), Coretronic Optics (Suzhou), Coretronic Projection (Kunshan), and Coretronic Optics (Kunshan)
2：The scope of revenue of Taiwan plants
2019~2020: Coretronic, Young Green Energy, Coretronic Intelligent Cloud Service, Coretronic Intelligent Robotics, uCare Medical Electronics, Champ Vision Display, InnoSpectra, Coretronic Reality and Coretronic MEMS
2021: Coretronic, Young Green Energy, Coretronic Intelligent Cloud Service, Coretronic Intelligent Robotics, uCare Medical Electronics, Champ Vision Display, InnoSpectra, Coretronic Reality, Coretronic MEMS and Coretronic Intelligent Logistics Solutions
3: The GHG base year of Taiwan Plants was revised to 2019 by the environmental protection committee, and the ISO 14604-1:2018 has been used for investigation since 2020. The internal GHG investigation of Wujiang Plants 2021 referred to the ISO 14604-1:2006, where Category 1= scope 1, Category 2= scope 2
4: The coefficient of Taiwan Plants' carbon emissions in 2021 refers to the carbon emission data of the Bureau of Energy in 2020, 1 kWh of electricity=0.502 kgCO2e; the coefficient of Wujiang Plants’ carbon emissions refers to the results of the 2019 China regional grid baseline emission factor, 1 kWh of electricity=0.7921 kgCO2e. The GWP value refers to the Global Potential Value and the scope of the investigation in the Fourth Assessment Report of IPCC 2007 in accordance with the Operational Control Law.
- Tainan Plant 1 installed a solar plant with a capacity of 263.19 kWh on the roof, with a total of 1.05 GWh of electricity generated since 2018, which is equivalent to 530 tCO2e reduction.
- Established 3 solar plants in Wujiang plants and will generate an estimated 6.05 GWh of electricity every year, which is equivalent to 4,797 tCO2e reduction.
- Purchased 640 renewable energy certificates (for 0.64 GWh of capacity) and 331 tCO2e reduction since 2016.
- Taiwan plants have continually passed the third-party verification of ISO 14064-1 GHG inventory since 2016.
- The intensity of GHG emissions of plants in Taiwan was 39% less than 2020.